Message of the week

We like to move it move it

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Impact of Inequality

Our latest project we are engaged in (excluding printmaking project two, in progress) is to design the cover for a book that is to be republished in the near future. It's title, wait for it, "The Impact of Inequality:How to make sick societies healthier". At first we weren't given the full title of the book (something usually gets left out till weeks later) so initially I drafted up this little image.
Ugh
Needless to say, it's terrible, I soon realised it was far to cliché and so did many of my peers who were helpful enough to point out, also it's generally displeasing to the eye. But do not fret I had a far greater idea following a warm up project we were issued to do with illustrating the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Original Sketch

Messing around

Final Image
This I find fits perfectly with what the book is all about, as it explains how lower classes suffer due to upper and middle readily 'excluding' them from society and how it creates what's known as the social gap (I haven't read it myself but did look into a few synopsis'). The back cover has been looking bare however so I also threw this little piece together just to tuck into the corner and add some colour.

Back Cover
After some filtering, burning and colour alteration I added it to the document in InDesign and finished what I think may well be the final piece that I will hand in.

Final Piece

No comments:

Post a Comment